Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

After returning from the Ski Championships museum, I walked straight to the city. I had not known the shortcuts yet, the gpeaceful graveyard would have been discovered two days later. I walked by the highway and ran into my friends heading to the festival area. It was still about 2,5 hours before the start, and i told them I wanted to get something to eat. They said they had some snacks, and I gave up. We all walked to the festival area, drinking beer and picking blueberries along the way. I wondered if there were any trolls in Swedish forests. In Norway, there's no doubt about that. In Sweden, it doesn't look that way. Well if there are any, they are certainly not in this area. Too many people, too much noise, and a graveyard. Not the best place for trolls. My friens told me they've been to the mine (everyone's been there but me) and I told them about the hills (no one's been there but me! gee, I'm unique).

We had a small picnic in the shadows (I quickly froze and returned to the sunlight; I keps freezing because I've taken only summer clothes with me, and it's pretty cold in Sweden; besides, I love sun and heat), then my friends received their VIP bracelets (I asked if they were available for the last day only and was offered to wait until the last day), then they went to the area and I skipped to the campside to change and leave the tropheys. I rejoined them in the line for Sabaton signing session. There was still an hour left but the line was HUGE. My friends were amongst the first 30 people in line. I joined them. I wans't planning to ask for Sabaton signatures, but then changed my mind when Mary showed me her train ticket from Arlanda Airport to Falun. "They've signed everything I had", she explained. "So now it's only the ticket left". Ow yeah. She travels to every Sabaton show within her reach. I've only been to three shows before. I pulled out my train ticket and thought it was a good idea. They would see I had come from far away.

One hour of waiting, and the band appears. We all sang "Happy Birthday" to Thobbe Englund who was turning 36 that day and proceeded to the tent. I held a small photo camera in my left hand and kept taking pictured every moment.

Thobbe was the first to sign my ticket. "You're welcome, Jelena", he went. "Any wonders why I know your name?" he asked, seeing that I was not surprised. "It's written on your ticket".

"Well I know your name too", I laughed. "I even know you have a birthday, and I know how old you are. So happy birthday". He smiled at me and I moved on, giving my ticket to Hannes Van Dahl.

"Where are you from?" he asked. "Lithuania", I replied. "Slovenia?" he went. OH MY LORD. Usually I tell strangers I'm from Slovenia because I love this country, I lived there, and it certainly feels like it's my spiritual homeland. It was so sweet of Hannes to mishear the name of my country that way. "Lithuania", I repeated, "but Slovenia also. Thanks".

Mary had taught Par Sundstrom to say "naprimer" somewhen before. Well it means nothing. It's "for example" in Russian, but my friends and I use it a lot in many meaning. Now she was in front for me and I heard her saying "Thank you naprimer" after receiving Par's signature. I found myself in front of Par. "Hello naprimer, could you sign this naprimer?" I went. "Naprimer", he replied and left a signature. "Thanks naprimer", I said. He kept looking down in some kind of suprise all along. Okay, maybe that wasn't a good joke. Joakim Broden and Chris Rorlund quickly signed my ticket, and we all left for a drink.

I returned there almost three hours later, and there were still people waiting to get their signatures. I walked to the merchandise and asked if there were any Falconer T-shirts. Not yet, they said. There were more people asking the same, and the seller told us to return the next day or the last day when Falconer were supposed to arrive. They had to bring some memorabilia with them, he said. I ran into a lady wearing a self-made Falconer tee and asked her where she'd gotten it. She suggested to take my contacts and aks her friend to make one tee for me, but it would take time. No thanks, I said, I want it now. I scattered the tents but there wans't anything I'd like to buy. The merchandise at Rockstad Falun was way too small. There was a lot more stuff at Kavarna Rock where I've been a year before.

The line of Sabaton signature hunters has almost disappeared when my new friend Karin showed up. She and her husband walked to the band and I joined them. Didn't expect myself to visit the Sabaton signing session twice, though. While she was taking autographs and her man was taking pictures, I was just standing in front of Thobbe and Hannes, exchanging smiles. They didn't say anything like "You again!?", they seemed pleased to see a fan second time aroung. I raised my camera, and Hannes pointed a finger towards Thobbe's face. I missed catching the moment. "Once more", I asked. They did it once more. Thank them.

No one wanted to join me at Cryonic Temple signing session which took place a bit later. The line was much shorter. I wasn't the first in line but I didn't have to wait for an hour to get my turn. With a camera in my left hand and a train ticket in my right hand, I reached the table. I'm not a big fan of this band, I don't listen to them much, but I sure like thier style. Okay, I hardly remembered their names when walking towards them.

Matthias Lilja, the lead singer, was first in a row. With his short hair and white tee, he didn't look like a metal performer. Whell, I've seen 'strange' looking metalheads in my life, and I'm actually one of them (I'm not a performer, though, just a fan). Their guitarist Markus Grundstrom wasn't looking like a metalhead as well. Okay, back to Matthias. He signed my tichet with one hand and pulled out a CD with another. "Here's our new demo for you", he went, and I asked hime to sign the cover while giving my ticket to Markus. The latter asked me where I was from. Lithuania, I said. "What? Romania?" shouted Micke Dahlkvist the drummer who was sitting fourth, and added a word in Romanian which I didn't understand. I waited for Markus and the other guitarist Esa Ahonen to sign both ticket and cover and stepped forth to Micke. He told me he'd never been to Romania but had visited Moldova once before. He was so excited that I didn't tell him he'd misheard what I'd said. After Roland Westbom signed for me, I rejoined my friends who were perfectly seated on the grass. It was pretty cold, but none of them wanted to go to VIP area where bag chairs were provided. Too bad for me. I found a hole in the fence and sneaked there several times. Joined by no one.

Cryonic Temple were scheduled to play at 22:00, and by that time I almost froze to death. I didn't care much for the other performers. I always knew, the first day would be a Cryonic Temple day for me. Finally, I went to the slam zone for the first time this fest, and it became lots warmer. The band sounded unexpectedly well, and the performance was awesome. Oh they deserved a lot more attention that we gave them. What a pity their show was so short. They played only five songs, but the last one was my favorite, "Eternal Flames of Metal". As soon as the show ended, I tried to round the stage and get to them, but there were fences all around. I watched them pack their gear and made sure they were leaving for good. Well I gave them all the attention I could give. They deserve it. They deserve more time on stage as well.

I started shivering again and went to say good night to my friends who stayed for Raubtier and Orphan Gypsy. I could have listened to them form my tent. The campsite wasn't far away. All I wanted was to pack myself into my thermo clothes and sleeping bag before I get ill. Well, it was a long and good day for me. Visiting skijumping hills and skiing museum, picking blueberries and searching for trolls, chatting with friends and attending two signing sessions, getting a free Cryonic Temple CD and enjoying their gig. Pretty enough.

To be continued...